- Generate convention center business for events with food service functions and other special events.
- Create sales leads with meeting planners in new and existing accoutns to identify prospective events and respond to requests for proposal.
- Responds to leads from CVB, area hotels, and call-in inquiries, place space on hold in booking softwre and prepares proposals accordingly. Often requiring written or in-person presentations.
- Responsible for planning events in center including client tours, advising clients on equipment, personnel required, and anticipated incurred charges as well as supplying the client with needed information and necessary forms to order services at the Center.
- Responsible for preparing final event settlement paperwork at the conclusion of events and reviews with client in order to collect final payment prior to event and distributes close-out documents to accounting for final invoice to be prepared.
- Responsible for making all departments aware of client’s needs while onsite by generating and distributing work orders and diagrams to internal departments and 3rd Party Vendors.
- Responsible for ensuring the setup of each event is complete according to the client’s instructions and agreements and overseeing client services during events.
- Provide management for events on-site (radio, client assistance, coverage).
- Conducts planning, staff, and operational meetings to ensure smooth production of events and provide support for staff to troubleshoot difficult situations, quick-flip turnovers, or unexpected situations.
- Ensures that events conform to local, state, and federal government regulations, and other applicable rules and policies. Helps maintain clean, attractive, accessible, and well-managed convention and community facilities and services.
- Works with Community and City Officials as needed to coordinate street closings, parking arrangings, and commuting needs.
- Involvement in implementation of new programs and overall development of the Events Department.
- Other duties as directed by General Manager, Director of Events, & Executive Staff.
- Works Event-driven, Schedule-based shifts, serving as Manager on Duty as needed.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving.
- Organization & Time Management- Prioritizes tasks well and completes responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Customer Service – Display and set standards for high level of customer service.
- Change Management – Developes workable implemntatio plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 3-5 years of progressively responsible event management experience.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication, teamwork and project management skills needed.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Flexible Schedule & Availability to work evenings and weekends.
- Excellent computer skills needed – knowledge of convention industry related programs preferred.
- Self-directed and self-motivated team player with a positive outlook.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center (MACST)
We want the whole world to know what makes Columbia SC so great. Think of us as the biggest cheerleader for the heart of South Carolina. We educate potential visitors about the region year-round with paid and earned media. We help strengthen the region’s economy by bringing millions of visitors annually. Our unified vision and strong identity stokes our shared sense of possibility and fosters pride among locals.
Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism was organized as the Midlands Regional Convention Center Authority, a South Carolina nonprofit corporation as of July 5, 2001. To better define the overall purpose and mission of the Authority the official name was changed effective September 12, 2003.
The mission of the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism includes:
- Directing and managing the activities and mission of the Columbia Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Overseeing the development and operation of the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center under a long-term management agreement for the benefit of the Governmental Entities: City of Columbia, Lexington County and Richland County.
- Directing and managing the activities and mission of the Columbia Regional Sports Council (also known as Experience Columbia SC Sports).
- Directing and managing the operation of the Columbia Regional Visitors Center.
On August 24, 2001, the Authority became the Supervising Member for the Columbia Metropolitan Convention & Visitors Bureau (also known as Experience Columbia SC) and on May 14, 2002, the Columbia Regional Sports Council became a partner in the regional marketing efforts.
The Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism Board consists of nine members; five representing the City of Columbia, two representing Lexington County and two representing Richland County.
The President and Chief Executive Officer of the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism will oversee the operation and management of all responsibilities delegated to the Authority by the Board. The current President & CEO is Bill Ellen.
Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism is committed to the principles of equal employment. It is our intent to maintain a work environment that is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation, because of age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regards to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.
Company Website: www.experiencecolumbiasc.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)